Whether you’re standing up in a relative’s wedding or going to your first corporate interview, a time comes in every man’s life when he needs his own suit. But choosing a suit at all can be intimidating, let alone your first suit. Knowing a few things to consider when purchasing your first suit will help you make that choice.
One of the most important things to consider when you buy your first suit is the occasion, as that will determine the suit’s style and color. After all, a suit you wear to your wedding may be different than a suit you wear to your prom.
If you expect to wear your suit regularly—for example, if you work an office job—choose a neutral-colored suit that’s professional and practical. If you only plan to wear it to formal events, you may have a little more freedom to change the color or style.
The function you plan to wear your suit to will also determine the appropriate fabric. Some of the more common suit fabrics include:
Wool tends to be the standard for men’s suits because it’s breathable, water-resistant, and sturdy. Cotton and linen are suitable for more causal scenarios, and linen especially is best for warm-weather events.
Regardless of the occasion or wearing your suit, picking a well-fitted suit is essential. These are a few traits of a well-fitted suit:
- You can button the jacket properly.
- With the jacket buttoned, you can still slip your hand between your chest and the jacket’s front.
- The shoulder pads rest snugly against the shoulders.
- When you have your arms resting at your side, you can see one-fourth an inch of your shirt sleeve, and the bottom of the jacket reaches your knuckles.
- The jacket follows the line of your waist.
- The trousers end just before the top of your shoes.
It takes some experience to develop the intuition to know when a suit fits properly. For your first suit, there’s nothing wrong with enlisting help from the experts.
At Emanuele Tuxedo, our Chicago tuxedo rental and sales associates can walk you through the process to help you choose a suit that’s perfect for you.